Diabetes and your skin: Tips for skin care4
Having diabetes can put you at risk of skin problems. High blood glucose can make the skin dry, itchy and prone to infections.
To help prevent diabetes-related skin problems:
- Keep your blood glucose levels well-managed with the help of your healthcare professionals.
- Keep skin moisturised to prevent chapping and cracking, and to decrease the risk of infection, especially during cold, dry weather.
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid taking very hot baths and showers.
- Treat minor cuts straight away, washing with mild soap and water and covering them with a sterile dressing.
- See your doctor straight away for major cuts, burns or infections.
4 American Diabetes Association. (ADA) - Skin Care Accessed online 24 June, 2018 @ http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/skin-care.html