Taking Care of Your Skin
Diabetes and your skin: Tips for skin care
Having diabetes can put you at risk for skin problems. High blood glucose can make the skin dry, itchy and prone to infections.
To help prevent diabetes related skin problems:
- Keep your blood glucose levels well-managed with the help of your healthcare professionals.
- Keep skin moisturized to prevent chapping and cracking, and decrease the risk of infection, especially during cold, dry weather.
- Avoid taking very hot baths and showers.
- Treat minor cuts right away, washing with mild soap and water and covering with sterile dressing.
- See your doctor right away for major cuts, burns or infections.